Father William E. Malloy, 74, died July 19, He was the former pastor of St. Barnabas Parish.
Born in Chicago, Father Malloy attended Quigley Preparatory Seminary and the University of St. Mary of the Lake/Mundelein Seminary before being ordained in 1973.
He was assistant pastor of St. Bernadette, Evergreen Park, and associate pastor of St. Norbert, Northbrook, and Incarnation, Palos Heights. He was pastor of St. Maurice; St. Germaine, Oak Lawn; and St. Barnabas, where he served 10 years before retiring in 2017. He continued to live at the parish after retiring.
Father Malloy was also a faculty member at Quigley Preparatory Seminary from September 1977 to August 1978.
Father James J. Donovan, pastor of St. Barnabas, remembered “Fr. Bill” as a well-prepared preacher, known for his kindness and gentle spirit.
“He always had time for his parishioners from all his parishes,” Donovan said. “His quiet and sincere manner endeared him to many over nearly 50 years. Please keep his 101-year-old father, his sisters and their families and the St. Barnabas community in your prayers.”
Deacon Dean Hermann, 78, of Plainwell, Michigan, died July 19. He was ordained in 1978 and served in five dioceses. In the Archdiocese of Chicago, he served as director of the English-language diaconate formation program for several years in the 1990s and early 2000s.
He was born in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and joined the U.S. Navy after graduating from high school. He served for more than 30 years and retired with the rank of commander.
He is survived by his wife, Vicki; his sons Tony and Matt; four grandchildren; and his siblings Bill, Ursula, Greg, Chris and Jim.
Adrian Dominican Sister Rina (Jeanne Dominic) Cappellazzo, 91, died July 14 in Adrian, Michigan.
Born in Detroit, she was in the 71st year of her religious life.
Sister Rina ministered in education, as a campus minister, as a director of staff development, director of pastoral formation and religious vicar in Illinois, Michigan, New Mexico, Arizona and California; and in Leuven, Belgium.
In the Archdiocese of Chicago, she taught at St. Kevin (1951-1952) and St. Philip Neri (1953-1955).