Mercy Sister Corinne (Mary Daria) Bauer, 97, died May 4.
Born in Chicago, she entered the Sisters of Mercy in 1938. She spent almost 30 years teaching in Mercy high schools in Chicago, Ottawa and Des Plaines, Illinois. She then she received advanced certification in medical technology and ministered as a lab technician at St. Joseph Hospital in Aurora, Mercy Hospital in Chicago and Christ Hospital for over 20 years.
Providence Sister Kathleen Mary Gay, 95, died April 28 in St. Mary-of-the-Woods, Indiana.
Born in Massachusetts, she entered the Sisters of Providence in 1944 and professed final vows in 1952.
She ministered in Indiana, Illinois, North Carolina, Massachusetts, Maryland and New Hampshire. In the Archdiocese of Chicago, she taught at St. David (1952-55).
Sister of St. Joseph Beth (Mary Charles) Stoffel, 98, died April 25.
Born in Cicero, she attended Mary, Queen of Heaven School, Cicero, and Nazareth Academy, LaGrange Park. She attended Mundelein College and then entered the Sisters of St. Joseph in 1947.
She taught at Mount Carmel, Melrose Park; St. John Fisher; Divine Infant, Westchester; St. Margaret Mary; St. Bonaventure; and St. Francis Xavier, LaGrange, between 1950 and 1964. She taught Spanish at Nazareth Academy (1964-1973) and served as assistant principal (1967-1970). She taught English as a second language at Wells High School (1973-1978), then returned to Nazareth Academy and taught Spanish until 1984. From 1984 to 1999, her ministry changed to pastoral associate, chaplain and director of pastoral care at St. Anne Hospital, St. Elizabeth Hospital, Maria Health Care and Bethlehem Woods.
In retirement, she worked as a volunteer at the St. Barbara Food Pantry in Brookfield, as a substitute teacher, performed various clerical duties for the community’s development office and volunteered for the Adopt-a-Grandparent Program and for the adult education program in Lyons Township.
Felician Sister Mary Alphonsetta Haneman, 99, died April 24 at Our Lady of the Angels Convent.
Born in Chicago, she attended St. Salomea School and St. Louis Academy. She entered the Felician Sisters in 1940 and professed her final vows in 1948. She ministered on the elementary school, high school and college levels as a music teacher in Illinois and Wisconsin. She also served at Mother of Good Counsel Provincial House as an organist for many years.
In the Archdiocese of Chicago, she ministered at St. James (1940-1949), Holy Innocents (1949-1951), St. Joseph High School (1954-1955), Sacred Heart (1958-1959), Holy Innocents (1959-1960), Good Counsel High School (1960-1971), and Felician College/Montay College (1971-1995).
Sister of Christian Charity Marianne (Rosaire) Schwer, 87, died April 23, at Sacred Heart Convent, Wilmette.
Born in St. Louis, she entered the convent in 1948 and made first vows in 1951.
In the Archdiocese of Chicago, she taught at St. Isaac Jogues, Niles (1970-1973) and St. Alphonsus Liguori, Prospect Heights (1973-1975), where she was also superior. She was registrar at Mallinckrodt College, Wilmette (1980-1990). She returned to Sacred Heart Convent in Wilmette in 2008
Sinsinawa Dominican Sister Marie (Bertrandine) Cagnoni, 93, died April 22 in Sinsinawa, Wisconsin.
Sister Marie made her first religious profession in 1944 and her final profession in 1947. She ministered in Illinois, Minnesota and Wisconsin.
In the Archdiocese of Chicago, Sister Marie taught at St. Sabina (1944-1947).
She is survived by a sister, Vivian Borkus.
Living Word Sister Betty (Augustine) Betzwieser, 85, died April 13 in Oak Brook, Illinois.
Born in Chicago, she entered the Sisters of Christian Charity in 1949. Sister Betty was a founding member of the Sisters of the Living Word in 1975.
She ministered in elementary schools as a teacher and religious education coordinator in the Midwest, and served in the Archdiocese of Chicago at St. Theresa, Palatine (1955-1960, 1971-1975); St. Gregory, (1961-1963); St. Isaac Jogues, Niles (1963-1966); Holy Trinity (1969-1971); St. Fabian, Bridgeview (1975-1978); and St. Barbara, Brookfield (1978-1981). Later, she worked in hospital settings at Loyola Medical Center, and ministered as caretaker for her mother
Sister of Notre Dame de Namur Ann Carolyn (Lorraine Dorothy) Blackburn, 89, died April 10 in Cincinnati.
A native of Chicago, she graduated from Notre Dame High School and entered the community from St. Peter Canisius Parish in 1945. She made final vows in 1953.
Sister Ann Carolyn was trained in Montessori education and taught Head Start programs in Ohio, Illinois and Indiana. In the Archdiocese of Chicago, she taught at St. Peter Canisius School (1957-1963, 1972-1983).
Sister of the Holy Child Jesus Mary Jane (Mother Mary Collette) Hicks, 86, died Feb. 26 in Pennsylvania.
Born in Chicago, she entered the Society of the Holy Child Jesus in 1951. She served as a principal, teacher, school secretary and financial manager in the Archdiocese of Chicago; New York; Philadelphia; Washington, D.C.; Las Cruces, New Mexico; and Rome, Italy.
She is survived by her sisters, Franciscan Sister Fran Hicks and Carol Ruehl, and her brother, Larry Hicks.
There will be a memorial Mass at Immaculate Heart of Mary Church, 3834 N. Spaulding Ave., June 27 at 11 a.m.
Deacon Philip A. Bertolani, 64, died May 14. He was ordained in 2003 and served at St. Benedict (Irving Park Road) and St. Bede, Ingleside.
Deacon Bertolani was a member of the St. Vincent de Paul Society for many years. He helped found the Knights of Columbus at St. Benedict and was a member of Knights of Columbus Council 3788 at St. Bede when he died.
Deacon Bertolani is survived by his father, Ray Bertolani; his wife of 44 years, Holly Bertolani; children Lisa Olson and Michael Bertolani; grandchildren Aria, Kirsten and Charlotte; and sisters Nancy Blair and Roseann Seablom.