Father John B. Peng, 94, died June 11 in Sichuan, China. He was a former chaplain of St. Elizabeth Hospital.
Father Peng was born in China and was ordained there in 1955. After ordination, he served in Taiwan until 1960, and then for a short term in Malaysia. He moved to Chicago and was incardinated in the archdiocese in 1989.
Father Peng served in the Archdiocese of Chicago at St. John Nepomucene Parish and as chaplain at St. Elizabeth Hospital until he retired in 1994. After his retirement, Father Peng did missionary work in Sichuan, China.
“We are so thankful Father Peng lived a long life and did so much to help the Catholic Church in China,” said Peng’s niece Stephanie Leung.
Father Michael J. Bowler, 90, died June 29. He was the former associate pastor of St. Turibius Parish.
Father Bowler was born in Chicago and attended Quigley Preparatory Seminary and the University of St. Mary of the Lake/Mundelein Seminary before being ordained in 1957.
He was assistant pastor of St. Thomas More, Resurrection (Jackson Street), Visitation and St. Eugene. He was associate pastor of St. Bernardine, Forest Park; St. Cornelius; St. Mary of Perpetual Help; and St. Turibius. He retired in 2001.
Father Bartholomew J. Juncer, pastor of St. Odilo Parish in Berwyn, was a good friend of Father Bowler.
“He was very dedicated as a priest to the people of God. Even in his 80s, he would visit people in hospitals, visit the sick to bring Communion and to anoint them, he would come to church to celebrate Mass,” Juncer said.
Deacon Paul Bovyn, 91, died July 16 at Jesse Brown VA Medical Center. He was ordained in 1972 and served at St. Francis Xavier and then Resurrection Parish (Francisco Avenue).
Born in Chicago, Deacon Bovyn attended Lane Tech High School before joining the U.S. Army and serving in the Korean War. He was a recipient of the Purple Heart.
He married his late wife, Eugenia (Jeannie), in 1952.
He was ordained in the first class of permanent deacons in the Archdiocese of Chicago and served at St. Francis Xavier, which became part of Resurrection Parish in 1991. He officiated at many baptisms and weddings and led holy hours even after he retired.
He was an associate of the Sisters of St. Francis of Joliet for 40 years.
He is survived by his children Michael Bovyn, Cynthia Beck, Gregory Bovyn, Glen Bovyn, Laura Mathis, Timothy Bovyn and Paula Shaughnessy; 13 grandchildren; and 11 great-grandchildren.
Sinsinawa Dominican Sister Eileen (Mary Ellen) Quinn, 87, died June 24 in Hazel Green, Wisconsin.
Born in Chicago, Sister Eileen made her first profession in 1964 and her perpetual profession in 1970. She taught for 51 years in New York, Wisconsin, Illinois and Pennsylvania.
Sinsinawa Dominican Sister Roslyn (Adeltrude) Snyder, 92, died June 25 in Hazel Green, Wisconsin.
Born in Galena, Sister Roslyn made her first religious profession in 1949 and her perpetual profession in 1952. She ministered in education as a teacher, assistant principal and principal. Sister Roslyn also served as director of social justice ministry, in parish ministry, as director of religious education and the finance officer for the Dominican Sisters of Sinsinawa Southern Province.
She served in Illinois, the District of Columbia, Wisconsin, Alabama and Mississippi.
In the Archdiocese of Chicago, Sister Roslyn taught at St. Richard (1949-1954) and Visitation (1974-1975).
Sister of St. Joseph-Third Order of St. Francis Constance Szymandera, 85, died June 27.
She was a member of the congregation for 67 years.
Sister Constance was an elementary school teacher in Illinois and Indiana and a special education teacher in the Bartlett Learning Center.
She is survived by her sister, Rita T. Klimczak.
Benedictine Sister Mary Frances (Ellen Marie) Schermerhorn, 91, died July 6.
Born in Chicago, she belonged to St. Timothy Parish and St. Francis Xavier Parish, Wilmette, before graduating from St. Scholastica High School in 1948. After one year at St. Teresa’s College in Winona, Minnesota, she entered the Benedictine Sisters of Chicago in 1949. She professed first vows in 1951 and perpetual vows in 1954.
Sister Mary Frances taught in schools in the Diocese of Pueblo, Colorado and in the Archdiocese of Chicago including Queen of All Saints; Mother of God, Waukegan; St. Hilary; St. Lambert, Skokie; and St. Scholastica High School. She was principal of St. John Nepomucene and St. Lambert, Skokie.
She supervised the food service at St. Scholastica Monastery and was treasurer and business manager for St. Scholastica monastery and high school. She had served as teacher and finance officer of the British Infant School, Skokie, since the 1990s.
Deacon Donald J. Wehling, 86, died June 25. He was ordained in 1987 and served at St. Hilary and then St. Padre Pio Parish.
He also served as a hospital chaplain at Holy Family Health Center, Holy Family Hospital, Condell Medical Center, St. Francis Hospital, and chaplain for the St. Jude Society. He was also a fourth-degree Knight of Columbus.
He is survived by his wife of 64 years, Maryl; his children Virginia Stangeland, Lynne Wehling-Fester, Donna Pannke, Andrew Wehling, Barbara Lowery and Stephen Wehling; 16 grandchildren; nine great-grandchildren; and his sister, Patricia Medley.
Adrian Dominican Sister Maureen (Marie Timothy) Fay, 87, died May 27 in Adrian, Michigan.
Born in Chicago, she graduated from Visitation High School. She was in the 68th year of her religious life.
She ministered elementary, secondary and college education in Illinois and Michigan.
In the Archdiocese of Chicago, she was director of evaluations at DePaul University (1974-1975) and dean of continuing education (1975-1979) and dean of graduate studies (1979-1983) at Saint Xavier College.
Precious Blood Father Robert Schreiter, 73, a member of the faculty of Catholic Theological Union in Chicago since 1974, died June 1 at his home in Chicago.
“The CTU community grieves profoundly the loss of our longtime colleague,” said Dominican Sister Barbara Reid, president of CTU. “His outstanding contributions are too numerous to list. His work on reconciliation, in particular, was unparalleled, both in his international accompaniment of church leaders in peace building and in teaching standing-room-only crowds of students every year.”
During his years at Catholic Theological Union, he spent nine years as vice president and academic dean (1977-1986) and was instrumental in founding its doctor of ministry program, Reid said. He was also the founding director of CTU’s Bernardin Center, which focuses on reconciliation and peacemaking, interreligious dialogue, leadership development for the Catholic Church, the consistent ethic of life and the search for common ground in the church and the world.
Born in Nebraska, he entered the Missionaries of the Most Precious Blood of Our Lord Jesus Christ in 1961. He earned his doctorate in theology from the University of Nijmegen in the Netherlands and was ordained a priest in 1975.
Immediately after his ordination, he joined the faculty at Catholic Theological Union. He remained on the faculty until May of this year, when he retired and was named professor emeritus.
Father Schreiter also was active in the leadership of his religious congregation, serving on its senate, as its vice provincial director and on the general council of the worldwide congregation. He also served as formation director, guiding candidates toward ordination as a priest or profession as a religious brother.
He is survived by two sisters, Mary Liesemeyer and Jean Taylor, and three brothers, Thomas, James and John Schreiter.