Father Ronald E. Scarlata, 81, died Nov. 1. He was pastor of St. James Parish, Highwood.
Born in Chicago, he attended St. Ignatius High School, Quigley Preparatory Seminary and the University of St. Mary of the Lake/Mundelein Seminary before being ordained in 1966.
After ordination, Father Scarlata served as assistant pastor of St. John Bosco and St. William parishes. Later, he was associate pastor of St. Bernadette, Evergreen Park; Divine Savior, Norridge; and Queen of the Rosary, Elk Grove Village. Father Scarlata served as pastor of Immaculate Conception (Aberdeen Street) and St. James, Highwood, where he received the title of pastor emeritus after retiring.
Father Leroy A. Wickowski, pastor emeritus of St. Robert Bellarmine, had been great friends with Father Scarlata since their seminary years. Wickowski said his classmate retired early due to health reasons but continued to be of assistance celebrating weekend Masses at several parishes.
Adrian Dominican Sister Marie Bride (Therese Rita) Walsh, 100, died Sept. 26 in Adrian, Michigan.
Born in Chicago, she was in the 81st year of her religious profession.
Sister Marie Bride spent 67 years ministering in elementary and secondary education in Michigan, Florida, California and Illinois.
In the Archdiocese of Chicago, she taught at Aquinas High School (1945-1951) and Regina Dominican High School, Wilmette (1976-2007).
Sinsinawa Dominican Sister Estelle (Mary Cabrini) Wiltz, 93, died Oct. 21 in Hazel Green, Wisconsin.
Born in Peoria, Sister Estelle made her first religious profession in 1947 and her perpetual profession in 1950. She was a teacher, principal, support staff member, institutional buyer, pastoral minister and assistant prioress at Trinity Convent, River Forest. She served in Illinois, Montana, South Dakota, Nebraska and Wisconsin.
In the Archdiocese of Chicago, Sister Estelle taught at Epiphany (1947-1954) and St. Thomas More (1967-1969). She served as assistant prioress at Trinity Convent (1995-1998).
Sister of St. Casimir Lucille Ann Bandyk, 87, died Oct. 23 in Lemont.
Born in the Brighton Park neighborhood of Chicago, she graduated from Immaculate Conception School (44th Street) and St. Casimir Academy. After entering the Sisters of St. Casimir in 1949, she made her first profession of vows in 1952 and her perpetual vows in 1957.
Sister Lucille Ann ministered in education for 41 years in both the junior high and high school levels, primarily in the Archdiocese of Chicago. After teaching third and fourth grade at St. George (Bridgeport) (1952-1953), she taught junior high at St. Pius X, Stickney (1959-1960; 1961-1962); St. Norbert, Northbrook (1960-1961); St. Bartholomew, Waukegan (1962-1963); St. Anthony, Cicero (1963-1965); and Sts. Peter and Paul (West Pullman) (1965-1967). She also taught in schools in New Mexico, Michigan and Minnesota.
She ministered at Maria High School from 1969 to 2009, teaching social studies and U.S. history, along with serving as dean of students, moderator of the Father’s Club and secretary.
Recently, Sister Lucille Ann participated in the ministry of prayer and presence at Franciscan Village in Lemont.