Mercy Sister Amadea (Florence Rose) Collins, 90, died June 22.
Born in Wheaton and raised in DuPage County, she became acquainted with the Sisters of Mercy when she worked in the kitchen at St. Joseph Mercy Hospital in Aurora on weekends while attending high school at Madonna. She entered the congregation a few months after she turned 16.
She taught for 25 years starting in 1948, with assignments at many schools in Illinois and a few in Wisconsin.
In 1973, she began working as the religious education coordinator at Our Lady of the Ridge in Chicago Ridge. She held that position until 1985, when she began managing the bookstore at Saint Xavier University.
Later in life, she volunteered by providing transportation to the elderly.
Jesuit Father Frederick “Fred” J. Deters, 83, died July 5.
Born in Cincinnati, he was a Jesuit for more than 65 years.
Father Fred entered the Society of Jesus in 1954. He was ordained in 1967 and took final vows in 1976 at Loyola University Chicago. He earned a doctorate of sacred theology from Catholic University of America in 1973.
He taught at St. Xavier High School in Cincinnati (1962-1964). After ordination, Father Fred taught theology at Loyola University Chicago (1973-1980) before directing retreats in Ohio.
Beginning in 1982, Father Fred transitioned into hospital chaplaincy where, for more than 30 years, he used his gifts of listening, empathy and caring for others. He was a chaplain at Loyola University Medical Center (1982-1994) and in Indiana.
Father Fred was missioned to Colombiere Center in Michigan in 2013 to perform service for the Jesuit community.
Felician Sister Mary Yvonne (Janet, Mary Barnabia) Karczewski, 91, died on July 7, in Our Lady of the Angels Convent.
Born in Poland, she moved to Chicago before entering the Felician Sisters postulancy in 1946 and professing her final vows in 1954. She ministered as an elementary school teacher in various schools in Illinois, Wisconsin and Minnesota. She also served as the art coordinator for the Felician archdiocesan schools.
In the Archdiocese of Chicago, she ministered at St. Helen (1953-1955, 1958-1960), Our Lady of the Garden (1957-1958), Holy Innocents (1962-1965), St. Joseph (1969-1977, 1982-1985), St. Stanislaus, Posen (1977-1980), Sacred Heart 1981-1982) and St. James (1986-1987).
Sister Joan (Joseph Bernard) Zlogar, 90, died July 14 in St. Mary of the Woods, Indiana.
Born in Joliet, Sister Joan entered the Sisters of Providence in 1950 and professed final vows in 1958.
She ministered in education for 30 years as a business teacher and school administrator in Indiana, Illinois and Washington, D.C.
She also served as treasurer for her province and assistant to the treasurer for the Cenacle Sisters in Chicago.
In the Archdiocese of Chicago, she served at St. Mark (1953); St. Columbkille High School (1953-1957, 1958-1966); Marywood High School, Evanston (1957-1958); Mother Theodore Guerin High School, River Grove (teacher, 1969-1973; principal, 1987-1991); Josephinum High School (1986-1987); Cenacle Midwest Provincialate (1992-1997).
After retirement, she volunteered with organizations including the alumnae organization of St. Columbkille High School.
Sister Genevieve (Mary Gertruda) Pinion, 87, died July 16 at St. Dominic Villa in Wisconsin.
Born in Wisconsin, Sister Genevieve made her first religious profession in 1942 and her perpetual profession in 1945.
She taught music for 64 years, serving in Wisconsin, Illinois and Washington, D.C.
In the Archdiocese of Chicago, Sister Genevieve taught at Visitation High School (1945-1947) and at Rosary College/Dominican University, River Forest (1951-1996), where she was chair of the music department.
She is survived by two sisters, Gertrude Greey and Charlotte Sacks.