Sister of Notre Dame de Namur Marguerite of the Sacred Heart Schoenung, 86, died Nov. 14 in Cincinnati.
Born in Cincinnati, she and her twin sister, Sister Frances Mary of the Sacred Heart Schoenung, Sister Marguerite finished high school and worked for three years to help ease the family’s financial burden before joining the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur in 1951.
Sister Marguerite taught every level from kindergarten through 8th grade at schools in Ohio and Illinois. In the Archdiocese of Chicago, she taught at St. Robert Bellarmine (1954-1958).
Sister Marguerite is survived by her sisters, Sister Frances Mary Schoenung, SNDdeN, and Julie Reese; her brothers, Jerry and Joseph Schoenung; and many nieces and nephews.
Sister Mary Esther (Francis Gertrude) Lane, 101, died Nov. 19 in St. Mary-of-the- Woods, Indiana.
Born in Indiana, she entered the Sisters of Providence in 1933 and professed final vows in 1942.
Sister Mary Esther ministered as teacher for 43 years in schools in Indiana, California and Illinois before serving on the staff of several retreat centers and parishes.
In the Archdiocese of Chicago, she taught at St. Sylvester (1936- 1938); St. Angela, (1938-1940, 1941); St. Agnes (1942-1945) and St. Mark (1961- 1963).
Divine Word Father Charles Schneider, 97, who served as a missionary in Ghana for more than half a century, died in Techny on Sunday, Nov. 6.
Born in Buffalo, New York, he entered the Divine Word seminary at age 13.
He professed vows in 1941, was ordained to the priesthood in 1946 and assigned to the missions in West Africa in 1948.
During his 55 years in Ghana, he was pastor, provided spiritual formation for students, was a bursar and seminary rector, and served as regional superior for his congregation.
Sinsinawa Dominican Sister Alexis Searfoss, 93, died Oct. 30, in Sinsinawa, Wisconsin.
Born in Chicago, Sister Alexis made her first religious profession in 1943 and her final profession in 1946. She ministered in education and pastoral ministry in Wisconsin, Illinois and New Jersey.
In the Archdiocese of Chicago, Sister Alexis taught at SS. Faith, Hope, and Charity, Winnetka (1949-1957) and St. Thomas More (1963-1966).