Divine Word Jerzy (George) Gawlik, 66, died May 29. He was pastor of St. Joseph the Worker, Wheeling.
Father Gawlik was born in Brzozowice-Katowice, Poland. He made his first vows in 1976 and his perpetual vows in 1980 in Poland. Gawlik was ordained to the priesthood in 1981, also in Poland.
While ministering in Poland, Gawlik served as formation director and prefect of Divine Word Seminary in Nysa, formation director of Divine Word Mission in Pieniezno, and rector and novice director at Divine Word Mission House in Chludowo. Gawlik was also a missionary in the Philippines.
Since arriving in the United States in 2004, Gawlik served as both associate pastor and pastor at St. Joseph the Worker Parish.
Divine Word Father Quang Duc Dinh, provincial superior of the Society of the Divine Word Chicago Province, recalls Father Gawlik as a “great missionary” and a kind and gentle pastor.
Father John E. Flavin, 83, died May 30. He was a retired priest of the Archdiocese of Chicago and former pastor of Our Lady of Perpetual Help Parish in Glenview.
Born in Chicago, Father Flavin attended Quigley Preparatory Seminary and the University of St. Mary of the Lake/Mundelein Seminary, completing his theological studies at the North American College and the Gregorian University in Rome before being ordained there in 1960.
He was assistant pastor of Our Lady of Grace and St. Catherine of Siena, Oak Park. He was pastor of St. Sebastian and Our Lady of Perpetual Help.
He also served on the faculty of Quigley Preparatory Seminary North, on the staff of Liturgy Training Publications and Maryhaven Nursing & Rehabilitation Center and as director of the Archdiocesan Office of Goal Setting. Father Flavin was president of the Presbyteral Senate and dean of Deaneries 3, 4 and 5 in Vicariate II, as well as the cardinal’s representative on the Pastoral Guidelines for Marriage, and had resided at St. Benedict Nursing and Rehabilitation Center since 2009.
Father Flavin had a reputation of being highly intelligent, and he was active in parish ministries. At his first parish, St. Sebastian, Father Flavin supported the parish’s Dignity Mass, bilingual Masses and AIDS hospice. At Our Lady of Perpetual Help Parish, Flavin led various ministries to support families most in need.
Deacon Joseph “J. Frank” Marquez, 93, died May 18. He was ordained in 1972 and served for more than 40 years at St. Pascal Parish.
Deacon Marquez was a member of the first class of permanent deacons ordained for the Archdiocese of Chicago and a U.S. Army veteran. He was an accountant and worked for Loyola University and Loyola Medical Center.
He is survived by his wife, Sharon; children Bob, Sharon Bush, Marty, Juli, David and Amanda; and nine grandchildren.
Mercy Sister Ann Sullivan, 84, died April 20.
Born in Chicago, she attended Resurrection School and graduated from Siena High School in 1953. In 1955, Sister Ann entered the Sisters of Mercy.
From 1959-1969, Sister Ann taught at schools in Chicago, Milwaukee and Rockford.
After leaving teaching, she worked as an administrative assistant at Misericordia for two years
She then worked as an administrator in Mercy facilities in Aurora.
Benedictine Sister of Chicago Johnette Sawyer, 84, died May 2 at St. Francis Hospital, Evanston, where she had been hospitalized for three weeks after contracting COVID-19.
Sister Johnette was born in Pueblo, Colorado, and entered the monastery in 1955. She made her final vows in 1957.
In the Archdiocese of Chicago, she taught at Queen of All Saints, St. Hilary and St. Symphorosa, where she was also a sacristan in the parish. She ministered in the Diocese of Pueblo, Colorado, from the 1960s to 2015.
She is survived by her sister, Marilyn Graybill, and her brother, John.
Benedictine Sister of Chicago Joan Gannon, 97, died May 6.
Born in Chicago, she and her family were active members of St. Jerome Parish. After attending St. Scholastica High School, she entered the community as a postulant in 1940 and professed triennial vows in 1942.
In the Archdiocese of Chicago, she taught first grade and was parish sacristan at St. Hilary (1942-1948); taught at Mother of God, Waukegan (1948-1951); taught kindergarten at Queen of All Saints (1951-1952); performed various services at the Benedictine Monastery after losing her voice (1952-1953); taught chemistry and math and performed other duties at St. Scholastica High School (1956-1967); ministered in the infirmary (1967-1970); and worked in the language lab and business office at St. Scholastica Academy (1970-1979).
For the next 10 years, she served at several Chicago parishes, including Our Lady of Lourdes and St. Thomas Aquinas. She worked with the St. Jerome “Tip Toppers” and did several jobs in the monastery until retiring in 2014.
Sister of the Living Word Norma (Jane P.) Thelen, 82, died May 9. She had been a member of the community for 45 years.
Born in Michigan, she taught in elementary schools in Illinois, Louisiana and Michigan for 25 years. She then ministered in the field of gerontology for 27 years. She retired in 2013.
She is survived by her brothers Clair and Thomas Thelen and her sisters Rose Mary Nurenberg, Virginia Drake and Linda Thelen.
Felician Sister Mary Dionette (Theophilla) Werner, 90, died May 15 in Our Lady of the Angels Convent.
Born in Poland, she moved to Chicago and attended Good Counsel High School. She entered the Felician Sisters postulancy in 1949 and professed her final vows in 1957.
She ministered as an elementary school teacher in various schools in Illinois and also served as a librarian at Providence High School in New Lenox. She ministered in the Congregation for Consecrated Life and Societies of Apostolic Life in Rome for 20 years, and served in the Office of the Metropolitan Tribunal for the Archdiocese of Chicago.
In the Archdiocese of Chicago, she ministered at Holy Innocents (1949-1955), St. John of God (1955-1957), St. Helen (1960-1965), St. Wenceslaus (1965-1971), and the Office of Metropolitan Tribunal (2000-2014).
Sinsinawa Dominican Sister Mary (Ora) Fox, 89, died May 26 in Hazel Green, Wisconsin.
Born in Wisconsin, Sister Mary made her first religious profession as a Sinsinawa Dominican in 1950 and her perpetual profession in 1953. She was a teacher, school administrator, catechist, director of religious education and community liaison in Illinois, Montana, Wisconsin, Tennessee, Florida and Oklahoma.
In the Archdiocese of Chicago, Sister Mary taught at Visitation (1962-1964) and St. Thomas More (1967-1971). She was principal of St. Basil (1978-1984).
She is survived by two brothers, Leonard Peacock and Jim Fox.