Deacon Arturo Rubio, 47, died Feb. 16 the day after suffering an accident at work. He was ordained in 2012 and served at Our Lady of Tepeyac Parish.
Deacon Rubio directed the RCIA program at Our Lady of Tepeyac, and had served at Our Lady of the Mount Parish in Cicero.
He is survived by his wife, Eva, and four daughters.
Sinsinawa Dominican Sister Jean (Meredith) Murray, 91, died Feb. 14 in Sinsinawa, Wisconsin.
Born in Broadview, Sister Jean made her first religious profession in 1952 and her perpetual profession in 1955. She taught French at the high school level for four years and at the college level for 38 years. Sister Jean served as president of Rosary College (now Dominican University), River Forest, from 1981 to 1994, and a building on campus bears her name.
She also taught French there (1961-1972, 1975-1981 and 1995-2008) and was director of the Rosary-in-Fribourg Program in Switzerland (1972-1975). She also served the Sinsinawa Dominican congregation as a provincial councillor for the Southeast Province while living in River Forest (1976-1980).
Servite Sister Anne Patrice McEntegart, 97, died Jan. 11 at Addolorata Villa, Wheeling.
Born in Chicago, she entered the Servants of Mary in 1951 and professed first vows in 1952.
She ministered in education for 40 years in Illinois, New Jersey, Wisconsin and Minnesota; served as secretary to the Servants of Mary congregation for nine years; and served a three-year term on the congregation’s leadership team.
She is survived by a sister, Kathleen Curran.
Irish Christian Brother David A. MacIntyre died Jan. 12.
Born and raised in Montana, he attended the Irish Christian Brothers High School, Boys’ Central, in Butte, Montana, before joining the Irish Christian Brothers.
He began his professional career as a teacher at Brother Rice (1962-1967). He then ministered at St. Laurence High School in Burbank (1967-1980), serving as principal for the last five years of that assignment.
He spent the remaining 39 years of his career and life at Brother Rice High School in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan.
Sister of St. Francis of Mary Immaculate Pauline (Alice Marie) Schutz, 87, died Feb. 10 in Joliet.
Born in Chicago, she attended St. Pascal School and Alvernia High School. After graduating from Alvernia, she entered the Sisters of St. Francis of Mary Immaculate in Joliet and professed her final vows in 1955.
Sister Pauline taught in schools in Illinois and Ohio between 1952 and 1978. Because of her failing eyesight, she was invited by the pastor of St. Pius X Parish in Lombard, Illinois, to consider moving from teaching and administration to begin a new ministry in pastoral care. Sr. Pauline spent 38 years at St. Pius X in Lombard in that capacity, establishing 26 different ministries that touched the lives and hearts of many people.
Sister Pauline is survived by a sister, Georgiana Schutz Glennon.
Providence Sister Mary Cecile (Mary Bernadette) Grojean, 87, died on Feb. 13 in St. Mary-of-the-Woods, Indiana.
Born in Chicago, Sister Mary Cecile entered the Sisters of Providence in 1950 and professed final vows in 1957. She ministered as a music teacher for 39 years in schools in Indiana, Illinois, Maryland and California. In 2002, she returned to the motherhouse where she gave service to her sisters as switchboard operator and driver.
In the Archdiocese of Chicago, she taught at St. Leo (1957-1963); St. Andrew (1970-1980); and St. Agnes (1980-1987); and taught (1987-1990) and was secretary (1992-1993) at Jesus our Brother School.
Felician Sister Mary Eulodia (Rose) Gramczak, 90, died on Feb. 14 at Swedish Covenant Hospital.
Born in Chicago, she attended St. Joseph Elementary School and St. Joseph High School. She entered the Felician Sisters in 1947 and professed her final vows in 1955. She ministered in Chicago on the elementary school, high school and college levels. She served at Good Counsel High School and St. Joseph High School in Chicago as a counselor for 15 years and worked at Felician College/Montay College for 20 years.
In the Archdiocese of Chicago, she ministered at St. John of God (1949-1951), St. Helen (1951-1956), Good Counsel High School (1956-1957), (1962-1971), St. Joseph High School (1957-1962), and Felician College/Montay College (1975-1995).
Benedictine Sister Agnes (Lois Mae) Kelly, 94, died Feb. 17 at St. Francis Hospital, Evanston.
Born in Evanston, she attended St. Scholastica High School and entered the community as a postulant in 1942 and professed her final vows in 1947. She taught at the elementary and high school level in math, social studies and music. Sister Agnes also directed freshman chorus, the Glee Club and taught private voice lessons. She served in Colorado and in Illinois.
In the Archdiocese of Chicago, Sister Agnes taught at Queen of All Saints (1944-1950), (1952-1956); St. Scholastica High School (1963-2012).
She also taught in Colorado.
Mercy Sister Mary Jonella Bohmann, 86, died Feb. 18.
Born in Wisconsin, she graduated from Mercy High School in Milwaukee in 1950 and entered the Sisters of Mercy in Des Plaines the following year.
Sister Jonella taught at Catholic high schools and elementary schools across the Archdiocese of Chicago for 20 years before moving to the collegiate level and teaching English at Saint Xavier College (now University) from 1973 until 1980.
She later ministered in the Diocese of Peoria, Illinois, and became involved in the National Catholic Educational Association. She returned to Wisconsin, where she directed a transitional housing program for young women and was a college instructor before retiring.
She moved to Mercy Circle in 2014.
Viatorian Brother Dale Barth, 75, died Feb. 21 at Northwest Community Hospital in Arlington Heights.
Born in Peoria, Illinois, Brother Barth pronounced first vows in 1963 in Arlington Heights and was ordained a permanent deacon in 2003 by Bishop Joseph Imesch in Joliet, Illinois.
For 23 years he was assigned to St. Viator High School in Arlington Heights, where he served as director of maintenance (1967-1990). For the next six years, he worked in the provincial treasurer’s office at the Viatorian Province Center, Arlington Heights. He served as pastoral associate at St. Viator Parish in Chicago (2005-2008), before retiring to the Viatorian Province Center retirement residence in 2008.